Wednesday, October 3, 2018

VanRanSolo #2: Artsy Fartsy


Hey y'all! Back with day 2 finallyyy. Sorry this is taking so long. But I'll complete this!! Okay getting to it..

Day 2 was mainly cultural like visiting some musuems!! I really love visiting musuems because you learn something and at the same time you get pretty photos amiright?? Hehe. So I went to 2 museums. Read on to find out!! Also it's going to be a super long post because it was a full day out. 

On my way againn~
Breakfast place
    Apparently Curry mee was one of Penang's well-known food and it's a must try. I headed down to the Campbell Street Market just again, quite near my hostel. 
Curry mee
There are prawns, mint leaves(?), cockles, and the squarish things are actually pig's blood made into cubes hahaha. Don't worry though, it's actually quite tasteless and the texture is like tofu. The noodles weren't spicy but you could ask the owner to add more chilli. Overall, it was okay I guess, just wished it had stronger flavours.

Wonderfood Musuem
I went in quite early, so there were only 2 other people in the musuem with me, and I could pretty much spend my time in peace haha.







Damn that laksa




Was pretty shocked to find out how much some of my favourite snacks contain..

What I liked about the musuem is that they have very friendly staff who are stationed at each exhibit to help you take photos; perfect for a solo traveler like me. I didn't have to ask, they just offered. In fact they'll just ask you to pose and you can give them yr phone or whatever to take the shots. But also because they wanted you to buy photos that they took with their own camera lah haha.

It's a great place to learn about Penang's food culture as well as some health education ahaha. It would be more fun to go there with company though.

Oh also, definitely remember to bring yr student pass if you have one!! It's okay if it's not malaysian. I didn't bring mine and had to pay the adult price hais. #protip

Random shots

 Pinang Peranakan Mansion
2nd stop!
  
I was in awe the moment I stepped in.. You can oretty much see why,
 

Dining

 

 



Ancestral shrine

toilet aesthetic also sia
Loads of mirrors and all of 'em are huge



 Wedding room



 Details


 Leaving shots~


Definitely a place worth visiting!! I would return if I ever go back to georgetown. In prettier clothes HAHA. 
There are free tours organized daily in the morning and afternoon. I went for the 11am one I think, although when I researched online it told me it was at 10.30am. You could choose not to go for the tour, but it's called a mansion for a reason, it's huge. Plus, it's free, why not?
You get to learn some interesting peranakan history too, like why they hide chickens on the wedding night HAHA. The entrance fee is only RM20, cheaper than the wonderfood musuem. For this price you get to tour the entire house which is sososo beautiful. You are also contributing to maintenence of the place, which is where the musuem fees go to. Trust me, go for it. Enough said.

Armenian Street

Weather was freaking hot, worse than SG, so I decided to try out this popular drink which was advertised online, and quite famous. My colleague at work told me about it, and since I knew the location, I gave it a try. 
Verdict:Overrated.
First of all, I queued close to an hour for this under the scorching heat, cos there were wayyy too many people and only 2 staff preparing everything. And the price is RM7.90 like whatttt. I had expectations, but the taste was mehhh. Although you could try their soft serve ice cream, loads of ppl seemed to enjoyed it. The portion is small though, and it costs RM12.90 if I remember correctly. I just feel that you're paying for the aesthetics??

So I wasn't satisfied with the drink and went on to find better food to coll me down. 
I walked alllll the way to Penang Road and bought myself chendol. OH. MY. GOD. Best food choice ever.
RM 2.90/bowl. BEST. DESSERT. EVA.
I could feel myself getting cooled from the heat after 1 bowl. There's always a queue for the stall, but it moves pretty fast thanks to fast workers. I'm amazed at their preparation speed. I'm not a fan of chendol, but this man, was different. MUST-TRY.
There are other food stalls too, like char kway teow, laksa, oyster omelette. So you can pretty much get your whole meal settled in one place. With chendol right after? PERFECT.
Char kway teow
Assam laksa
It has onions, chilli, pineapple, what I remember was inside. Idk why there's pineapple in a laksa but okay. Maybe you can feel healthier while eating because there's a fruit haha. The whole dish is more on the sour side rather than spicy, in fact I don't find it spicy at all. It's worth a try nonetheless, you have to experience their food right? But I prefer SG's laksa haha. Oh FYI, I ate a 2nd bowl of chendol after all that(:
Ask me how? Actually the food portions are quite small.

Found more interesting street art while walking around!!


Back to the jetties to catch sunset; one of my bucket lists for this trip.
It's a different sight to see by day and by night.

Oh aren't they pretty??
Love this shot.
Night scenes are so pretty too. Except for the jetty smell haahah.
Carrot cake to end off my day
Got this at one of the jetty roadside stalls, like literally roadside with vehicles zooming past so close.
It was an eventful 2nd day!! See y'all in the next one!


0 comments:

Post a Comment