Wednesday, September 5, 2018

VanRanSolo #1


Hey all! Whoever is interested in this, I hope it helps or if you're just reading for fun that's fine too.
I just came back recently from my first ever solo trip in Penang. It's not a faraway country but it's still away from home. Can't dream big first right? So start small. Now that I'm back, I thought it would be interesting to document this down. Here goes...

TOUCHDOWN➤➤➤➤

Arrived in Penang abt 4.30pm, it was a shorter flight journey than expected, about 1h 10mins rather than the expected 1h 25mins. Anyways, Step 1 after touchdown was to get a sim card.

I got the DIGI sim card, 7 days for RM30.
Honestly? I think it's a little pricey because I got a sim card before at the JB checkpoint, it was under CELCOM. It was definitely under RM30 for 7 days too. But anything to just be connected and ready to go.

Then, did a Grab to get to my hostel.
Cost: RM21
Arrived safely yayy.
But I almost lost one of my pouch man and was at risk of being robbed cos I left the Grab with my bag zip open. After exiting the contents of my bag spilled. Talk about a bad start. Luckily my Grab driver was really nice he called me back to tell me I dropped my pouch in the car. There was also a random passer-by who helped him call me back HAHA. Carelessness to the max.

After I settled down at my hostel, like 30mins?? (I was a little apprehensive to go out. I felt protected in my hostel LOL) I headed out to the Clan Jetties with of course, Google Maps (my best friend).

Shots on the way~
Cute leh
Clan Jetties


1st ever photo a stranger took for me.
If you saw my IGS, then you'd know how this pic came about too. HAHA. Basically, I approached a friend duo to help me take a shot (see 1st photo). Then I also did the same for them. Afterwards, we left at the same time, I was walking in front of them. Then they called me to take another shot of them together and you know what happened next...
Those designs are to die for. So aesthetically pleasing!!
 
Need a toilet?? 


  
                     

 
Erhem, so before this photo a couple approached me to help them take a shot. And so I did. During which I made a casual-not-so-casual comment "I also thought of taking a photo here." Thick-skinned a not LOL. But hello, I come here already must make it worth right.

Overall, I would recommend to visit the Lee and Tan Jetties. That's where I got most of my better shots from. The Chew Jetty is overrated I feel. There are lots of souvenir shops at Chew Jetty but the prices are just too touristy it's not worth.

Armenian Street
Wandering around~
One of the many famous Penang Street Art


Can you tell which is drawn, which isn't?



             
Basically one of the few shots I took with my selfie stick
Armenian Street is definitely a good place to start hunting for some street art. Most of the art there are quite conspicuous so you won't have to spend much effort hunting. However, if you want to avoid the crowd there, maybe visit around 5pm on a Sunday?? If your schedule allows. That's when I went, and there wasn't much of a crowd, so you don't have to keep queuing for photos.
Also speaking from experience because I went back to Armenian Street a couple of times during the weekdays and there are more people at the same timing. 

On the way home
Kapitan Keling Mosque


Sri Maha Mariammam @ Little India
 I actually walked around Little India a couple of rounds intending to find some food since it was near my hostel. But eventually nothing caught my stomach's interest and I kept walking around in circles LOL. Was obviously lost because I walked around the same area multiple times but I just faked like I knew where I was going. 
Thankfully!! I found this eatery called Tofu Village literally 1 min walk away from my hostel. Was pretty famished by then.
Dinner @ Tofu Village
Hakka Noodles. Pretty good!!
 Okay, honestly that did not fill my stomach (duhh if you know me) but I just wanted to have some dinner and then head back because it was about near 9pm by then and I was pretty tired.


Alright, that's it for Day 1!! Hope y'all enjoyed and I'll do up Day 2 and 3 soon~
Oh, I'll also do an expenditure post separately after I finish posting the whole trip.
Cya!



0 comments:

Post a Comment